Saturday, September 02, 2006

Mommy/Daughter Date

After a long and difficult week together of arguing with each other, I planned a mommy/daughter date with Bethany (my 9yr old). We went out to dinner and to watch a movie. While we were at the food court at the mall, I couldn’t help but to notice the different group of teenage girls hanging out. They were not doing anything wrong or inappropriate just acting their age and having a good time. Of course because of my current stage of motherhood, my first thought was “ok I see a group of girls, now where are the group of mommies?” Reality # 1 hit, at their age they don’t need their mommies’ right next to them. Then reality # 2 hit harder, there will come a time (in several years) when my daughter will be apart of those groups and will be coming to the mall without me or a trusted adult. I started to feel fear, uncertainty, and wondered if I am on target of teaching my children what they need to know to survive as an independent teenager/ adult when many, many, many situations could come up and they would have to deal with them.

On the way home when Bethany & I were alone in the car I asked her about some situations. I asked if she was a teenager at the mall with her friends (I named certain ones) & without me and her friends wanted her to do something that she knew was not right and God would not approve of, what would she do? She first asked if she would have a cell phone by then (her little plug for one). She said she would tell her friends not to do it and if they did not listen she would leave and go to the bathroom and call home. I reassured her that if she was ever in a situation where someone (guy or girl) wanted her to do something that she knew was wrong or threaten her that they may not give her a ride home or whatever – she can always call her father & me – even if we had other plans- and we would come and get her. I also reminded her of other close friends that she could call if for some reason she could not get a hold of us. I also reminded her that the Bible said that if we are ever in a situation or being tempted that God will provide a way out for us. It was a good discussion.

Although it’s scary thinking of my babies growing up and what could happen, I was proud of her response and will continue to pray for her to grow strong in the Lord and to be able to take a stand when she needs too. As a mom I will do my best to raise my girls strong and in the Lord, and leave the rest to Him, and trust “He is Still in Control.” This statement of hers made up for the situation we had earlier in the week, which is a story for another time, but what reminded me that I need these kind of moments with my girls now before they grow up. I was also reminded that I need to plan these times and not wait for them to just happen. In other words I need to continue to “parent on purpose”. I ended the day being a proud mom!

Until Later,
Betty

2 comments:

boomama said...

I think you're a wise woman to start opening those channels of communication so early...I can't even imagine the spiritual fortitude required to be the parent of a teenager... :-)

Laura said...

What an excellent post. My daughter is also nine and we just went for a mom/daughter date as well. Have to do it before they are too embarrassed to be seen with us right? These times are so special. Laura

Weight Loss Tracker