Wednesday, October 25, 2006

My 1st Works for Me Wednesday


This is my first What Works for me Wednesday. Usually I just check in looking for ideas to better organize my house and my life, because organization does not come naturally for me. I have found something that has been working in my house and I wanted to share it.

About a month ago I was struggling and fighting with my girls to get them to keep their room cleaned. Every night when my husband and I would go in to their room and have prayer time it was a mess. It did not matter how much time I would spend helping them clean it and telling them how it was to look I would end up in a fight with the girls and sometimes with John. I did not like this and how I felt afterwards, but didn’t know how to teach them without yelling and fighting. A few weeks ago I found the answer. I was on the Fly Lady’s web site and was reading about the student control journal. As I was reading about it I knew this was the answer I was looking for. I printed off the pages and got a notebook ready and the girls and I made the journal that night. If you are not familiar with the control journal it is basically a set of daily routines that we have developed and keep written record of these routines in a notebook. These routines include getting ready for bed, getting ready for the next day, and five minutes a day cleaning up the room. The girls get a sticker every time they do it. It has been working for us! We have not had any more fighting or yelling about keeping the room cleaned. All I do is tell the girls to go do their control journal and I have no fighting about getting ready for bed or cleaning their rooms. Their room is actually clean everyday. I can’t believe it is working, but it is. It works for me! For me ideas visit Shannon at Rocks in my Dryer

6 comments:

Rachel said...

I absolutely love Fly Lady. I just started using her holiday control journal and it's wonderful. You really should try it. It's free too and just have to print it off. :) Glad their rooms are staying clean.

Kelley said...

I'm willing to try anything at this point... think it will work for a 4-year old?

Tami@ourhouse said...

What a great tip- the messy room is a staple at our house as well, even though we clean up twice a day. I just spent some time here, and it sounds like you really have your hands full. You encouraged me with your diligence. God bless you as you serve him.
-Tami
www.hereatourhouse.blogspot.com

PastormacsAnn said...

I followed the link to Fly Lady and bookmarked it. I may just have to try this.

Anonymous said...

Betty, thanks for the idea. I will try this step with Tori and Lea, to see if it will work for us. I need to try Flylady again. Thanks for the reminder there is helpl out there.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE FLYLADY TOO......LOVE HER!!!!

Weight Loss Tracker