Thursday, November 09, 2006

Decision Time

Well, I'm at a decision point in my life. Currently, I do child care in my home. I have been doing this for a total of 6 years and I have enjoyed it. For several months I have been debating if I want to continue or not. As I was praying about it before and trying to figure out if God wanted me to continue or do something else I decided that I would continue until I started to loose some of the current kids I am watching now. Well this week one of the moms was talking to me and she was not real happy that I was taking a week off at Thanksgiving and a week off at Christmas time and still asking to be paid for the time off. I explained to her that I do not take much time off any other time of the year and this is the time we go to Ohio to visit family and friends. I have checked with other in home daycare centers in my area and a lot of them will charge for their vacation and time off. She seemed to understand that and said that was one reason why they chose me (I have watched her children for over a year now). She said if I was changing my policies concerning that, then they were going to look at putting the boys in a center based program. I told her I completely understand and that I could see how her boys would really benefit from that kind of environment and I truly mean that. Therefore, next Friday (the day before we leave for OH) will be their last day in my care. I feel Okay with that decision and about the time I am taking off - I NEED IT! As I reflect back on my decison to take the time off and ask to be paid for it, I do not regret that decision. Therefore, whatever consequences comes because of that decision I will accept.

Now I'm at the point of trying to decide if I should try to fill their opening or if I should take this as God's leading to look for another job. I just want to make the right decision and to do what's best for me & my family. I could make a good case for either decision. There are advantages and disadvantages to both.

I am willing to do whatever God wants me to do. My deepest desire is to just be at home, taking care of only my own children, helping out at their school, helping at church, and taking care of the house. However, since that is not an option for me and if I was real honest and if I only had to consider myself - I would like to look for a job other than child care in my home. I'm trying to see if this is the best thing for my daughters. My husband is very supportive in whatever I want to do. I think he would prefer not to have the day care in our home any longer, but he will support my decision. Therefore, I am trying to pray this through and asking for God's wisdom and clear guidance. That is where I'm at this week on my journey. I am waiting to see what God opens up for me and my family.

Until Later,
Betty

PS.
I love how when you send an email out it becomes a post. Thanks Judi and Cheri


1 comment:

Chaotic Mom said...

I know a little bit of what you're going through. I did in-home daycare for a while, too. When we found out our first son was deaf, I decided then and there I would only watch the children I currently had, and chose an end date by when they would need to find other services. I had to focus on my son and HIS needs, and am glad I made that decision. It was difficult, though.

Well, I think you're right in changing your policies. Businesses have to do that to survive. And I agree, no other professional day-care facility would accept time off w/o payment. Some parents tried to "take advantage" of my in-home care, thinking I wouldn't run it as professionally as the centers. But if they were late, they were charged late fees by me, too.

Weight Loss Tracker