Thursday, February 08, 2007

Ouch that hurt!

I have been a Christian for awhile, I attend church every Sunday, I listen to Christian radio, I read Christian books, and I even visit Christian blogs, however this week while I was reading in Matthew, I was convicted.

Last week I made daily Bible reading as one of my goals. At first I didn’t know where to really start. Therefore, I ended up reading The Sermon on the Mount in Matthew. This was not new scripture to me, but I thought I would be encouraged and reminded of certain scriptures. I was not expecting to be convicted. You see I have been dealing with some temptations in my life and have been praying about them. Therefore, as I started reading the scriptures, God met with me and my heart, and in a lovingly way convicted me where I needed to be convicted. This passage also reminded me that when we face temptation that we need to resist and run from it. Therefore, if you see me running by, just know that I am running from temptation.

It doesn’t matter how long we have been Christians or the Christian things that we do, God knows our hearts and things that other people can’t see. God reminded me that He is not only interested in what I do; he is also interested in my heart and my attitude. After reading in the Bible this week I felt like God & I met below the surface of the “Christian” things and we met on the heart level. Please don’t misunderstand me. I believe that Church, Christian books, Christian music, Christian blogs, and Christian friends are blessings from God, have a special place in my heart, and God uses those things in my life. However, those things can not take the place that only God and His word can fill in our lives. God wants to connect with us deeply and teach us how to live for Him.

Please forgive me if what I’m trying to say and share isn’t coming out right. I guess all I’m trying to say is; it doesn’t matter how long we have been a Christian or all the right things that we do, God is still working on us. Just because we have been a Christian for awhile there are times when we still need to be corrected. God wants to draw us closer and closer to Him. He loves us no matter what. This is what I experienced this week in my Bible reading and I wanted to share it with you. I hope this all makes sense, if not Oh Well, just know I met with God this week and it was way overdue.

Until Later,
Betty

2 comments:

Simple Kim said...

I just stumbled upon your blog. I loved this post and I truly believe it is right on target.

Several bloggers have recently started doing a book review every friday. It is great to share insights and different peoples perspectives. See my blog to get more info. Next week is Ephesians, hope to read you there!

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean Betty. I understand completely. I find myself there with God too frequently I am ashamed to say.

Weight Loss Tracker