Saturday, February 23, 2008

Church Security System

In my last post I said I was coming back to blogging and it has still been awhile since I have posted. I have started several posts and then I get stuck and can't seem to finish my thoughts. I am still planning to post my thoughts more regularly, but life has been challenging lately and I want to share part of it. So just know that I am working on different posts and hope to share them soon. I do have something to share that happened last week at church.

In the children's department at our church we have a security system in place where parents have to sign their children in and out. I know the leaders in charge have put much time and effort into this system to make it work and be a safe place for our children while they are at church learning about God. Keeping that in mind I try not to complain to much about things (I TRY not to!!!!!!!!!). However, this week I just have to complain about our system here. First of all let me explain our system. We have a table set up in front of the children's department where parents sign in their children when they arrive at church. Once the parent sign's their name the child receives a paper wristband with a number on it that corresponds with a tag that is given to the parent. The parent then needs to show this tag when picking up their child and the children worker will match the number on the parent's tag to the child's wristband. This is good especially if the children's worker does not know the parent of the child. During the church service if there is a problem or your child needs you, your number will come up on the projector screen that is used in the worship service. This system has been in use for over a year and has worked well. That was until last Sunday when my child's number came on the screen. This system is great for the 99% of the people that 1. know the number of their child and 2. are not SLEEPING in service, which by the way is what was happening to me. When the number system "failed" me, a children's worker came into service to "get" (wake) me and then told me that my youngest had an accident. Great system if one is aware of the number and is not sleeping in service.

I will for sure be going to bed early this Saturday night. :)! No more relaxing in the bath tub, painting my nails, talking to a friend on the phone, and laying in bed sharing my thoughts and ideas with my husband. lol!

Until Later,
~Betty~

3 comments:

Cheri said...

I was just thinking of you today - how happy I am that you still stop in and comment on my posts even when I've been lax on posting.

Hope all is well there!

Unknown said...

Actually it was a break for mme to have to come get you and has given us a little to laugh about. Have a great week. Love Ya!

Alice

Anonymous said...

Since I am the Security Coordinator at our church, I can appreciate your comments. At first we thought about posting numbers on the screen, but decided on a pager system. I can page a parent and get a faster response since I don't have to got to the sanctuary and tell them what number to put on the screen. The pager buzzes for 30 seconds. The system only fails if a parent puts the pager down or in their purse. No system is fulproof, but it does work.
I have two sites for you to look at which deal with children and family issues.
http://www.a-better-child.org
http://www.a-family-solutions-network.org
They are full of free information on child safety and preparing both child and parent for the future. Please, help me spread the message of these sites.

John

Weight Loss Tracker