Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Summer Habit

Summertime is suppose to be hot and lazy. We have the hot covered pretty good here in Georgia. However, I have been developing a good habit this summer. I have developed a good morning devotion and prayer time. For awhile I was struggling with finding time to spend with God and praying (and feeling guilty about it). One day I was at Wal-Mart and found a little book "The Busy Mom's Guide to Prayer" by Lisa Whelchel. It is a guided prayer journal where you pray through six categories - praise, self, husband, children, personal influences, and reaching beyond. You pray through these categories with a different focus each day for 20 days (one month Monday - Friday). At the end of the month you start back at Day 1 and pray about the issues again. It has been very encouraging and inspiring to me. I have found a time in the morning to do this while my kids are still sleeping and while I'm waiting for my daycare kids to come. After praying through this 2 1/2 times I am now trying to develop my own prayer journal to make it a little more personal. I have now added Bible reading and am reading 1 chapter of Romans a day. This sure has helped me to redevelop a prayer time. My concern about school starting is my schedule will be changing. This time I now spend praying and journaling I will be getting both girls up and dressed to go out the door. No more just letting them get up on there own and taking it easy until I am finished with my time. In order for me to continue with this time I will have to have it more structured and will have to get up eariler and I'm not looking forward to that. However this habit brings me such joy I know it will be worth it. I will try to continue to post and record how the early morning is going. I think for me to stick with it I will just have to make a commitment to stick with it no matter what.

Until Later,
Betty

2 comments:

Shawna said...

Thanks for visiting me. I, too, am spending more time in the word. Have you visited Lisa Whelchel's website? It is especially good for moms. Welcome to blogging!

Donnetta said...

What a great habit to develop!! Good for you! Do continue to blog about the progress you are making!!

Thanks for leaving your link and comment at "My Quiet Corner". Please know you are welcome to return anytime! :-)

Weight Loss Tracker