Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Trunk or Treat

Well both of my girls have their costumes and were ready to go to our church for Trunk or Treat tonight. In our church parking lot different people come and decorate their trunks and pass out candy to the kids. They also have hayrides, a balloon slide, and a place to get popcorn and cotton & candy. We went last year & it was a lot of fun. Jody's costume is a princess and Bethany's is an angel. However, an angel, Bethany is not. Bethany got in some big trouble at school last week, therefore, as hard as it is to do, John & I decided that Bethany will not be going to trunk or treat tonight. I understand the importance of teaching my kids right from wrong and inforcing disicpline when need be, but boy is it hard sometimes. We have talked to Bethany about her actions and why she is not allowed to go and she seems to understand, but as a mom do you know how bad I feel inside and want her to go. I don't want her to miss this fun time, but I also know she has to learn that there are consequences to your actions. I think this might be one of those times when parents say "This will hurt me worse than it will hurt you." Bethany wants to still dress up in her costume and get pictures taken, which John & I are allowing.

Whatever you are doing tonight HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

Until later,
Betty

4 comments:

Girl Raised in the South said...

Like you, I would have had a hard time enforcing this one, our kids spent many many days grounded, no TV, no phone, no video games, straight to bed after supper. The great thing about small children is that most things are a big deal to them so there are many choices for disciplining them. Good for you guys that you care enough to instill great stuff in them while they're young. xoxoxo

Jodi said...

Parenting is a tough job! I have had to do things like this as well with our oldest, it hurts, but the lessons they learn are worth it some times!

Many hugs!
Jodi

Anonymous said...

Hi Betty,

Thank you for the nice comments you made at my blog :)

I have to agree, it is one of the hardest things to do as a parent to follow through with punishment. I know I feel so guilty about the times I have kept my children from doing certain things they are looking forward to, but as a good parent, it's something we have to do. I applaud your strength!

Sherry

Michelle said...

My son, who is almost 11, is starting to get major attitude and acting out at school. Punishment is something I am still trying to figure out. Nothing seems to work. I admire the fact that you held your ground and didn't let her go, as hard as I know it was for you. I struggle with giving in on a daily basis, and more often than not I think I tend to let him off easy because I don't want him feeling bad, which in turn makes him think he can get away with it the next time....grrrrr, I'm not old enough for this responsibilty!! ;)

Weight Loss Tracker