Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Little Things Mean the Most

It really is the little things that mean the most to your heart.

A few months ago I received an email from a friend thanking me for buying her a drink at church during a children’s worship team practice. I really didn’t think anything of it. She didn’t have any cash on her & I had extra so I bought her a drink. In her email she was explaining how much it meant to her and what a blessing it was that I would buy her a drink and how she has a hard time expressing in person how she felt. I also understood that my friend had some other difficult issues going on and I was glad to be able to show love & kindness by a simple little drink. I honestly did feel blessed that it meant so much to her.

Last night at Upward practice I was standing in the hallway with a friend looking for a phone number that I needed. As we were standing there her husband walked by and was getting ready to buy both of them a soda (of course I call it a pop, being from the mid west). As he was walking to the “pop” machine he called back and asked if I wanted a soda. I can not express how that made me feel. It would have been very acceptable for him not to offer to buy me a drink. Under no circumstances would I have expected him to buy me a pop, because he was buying himself and his wife a soda. Of course, I declined the offer. The truth is I really wanted a pop last night, but I am only allowing myself to have one on the weekends. The offer itself was such a blessing to me and made me feel the connection of friendship to this couple. Because of previous get together his couple is going from being church acquaintances to friends in our lives and I feel blessed to know them. When I got home and shared with John, my husband, about the offer he felt the same blessing that I did.

It really is the simple things that cost so little that mean so much to friendships. We never know what small gesture of kindness will do to someone else’s heart. So I just want to ask anyone who is reading this right now to maybe take $1 and spend it on someone outside of your family. It may only cost you $1, but it might be worth $100 of encouragement to someone else.

Until Later,
Betty

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So true Betty. You are too wise! :) (((big hugs)))

An Ordinary Mom said...

What a great challenge ... I will have to take you up on it. Little gestures can truly bring the biggest blessing into our lives!

Cheri said...

Mising your posts this week. Guess everyone is entitled to bloggy breaks, not just me!

Weight Loss Tracker