Saturday, January 13, 2007

SMART Habit Saturday Update


I have completed my first week of SMART Habit Saturday hosted by Lara, The Lazy Organizer. Knowing I would have to give an account of how I did really seemed to help and motivate me to stick to my goal. My goal this week was to clean my sink every night and go to bed with no dirty dishes in the sink. Because I wanted to make a good impression and look good for the first week and try to fool, I mean impress people who really don’t know me I cleaned my sink every night before I went to bed this week. So now make me feel good and tell me you’re impressed. If you are not impressed you can still tell me you are, I won’t mind – really! lol :). (Side note I’m trying to add some humor to my posts, which does not come naturally to me. How am I doing?)

Okay Okay, back to my new SMART Habit. In all seriousness, which is more me, there were several nights this week that I really wanted to forget about my sink and just go to bed. I even gave up some blogging time to make sure my sink was clean – now you should really be impressed! I did learn that because I knew I wanted to succeed this week and have a good report that I was able to make my goal happen even when I didn’t FEEL like it. One change I noticed is that I planned ahead, which is not normal for me. When I knew we were going to have a late night, I tried to get the dishes done before we left or as many as I could. There were some nights that I just knew I wasn’t going to get them done before we left. On those nights as soon as we came home instead of sitting down and watching TV or going to blogging I finished the dishes right away and what a difference it made. I also realized that with the dishes done at night the next day went a lot better, because I didn’t have the dreaded thought of the dishes to do running through my head.

I am going to continue working on this habit this week, but also I’m going to add a new one to work on. My two goals this year is to loose weight and to get organize. Because I want to make changes for a lifetime I am trying to accomplish this at a slow pace. Therefore, I am thankful that Lara had the inspiration, desire, and idea to start this SMART Habit Saturday. Last week I worked on an organizational task, this week I am going to work on a healthy habit. As I am going to dread this, my new goal will be to drink 8 glasses of water everyday. As I just reread that thought, that’s not a real good attitude to have in order to accomplish this goal. But can you tell this will be a tough one for me. In the past I have been able to drink water when I really set my mind to it, but it just doesn’t last very long. In order to get ready for this new goal I have started to drink more water this week. I realize there are many benefits to drinking water and I do feel better about myself when I drink more, therefore, I just need to make the total commitment and make it a habit – my goal for this week and the next three. My plan is to daily fill a large cup that holds 8 cups of water and drink from it as I go through my day. I am not going to allow myself to drink anything else until the water is gone. We will see how it goes and I will let you know next week. If you have any suggestions about drinking water let me know.

If you are not participating in SMART Habit Saturday and would like to please visit Lara. I am looking forward to seeing how everyone else did.

Until Later
~Betty~

11 comments:

Lara said...

I couldn't be more impressed with you Betty! You worked so diligently this week that I got chills reading about it. I'm so excited for you!

This water thing seems to be a problem for most people. We never drank anything but water and milk growing up and the milk was powdered and tasted watery anyway. I have always loved water. I'm sure you'll develop a taste for it as you work on this new habit.

You're going to be spending a lot more time in the bathroom so maybe you could clean your toilet while you're in there!

An Ordinary Mom said...

I am very impressed ... and even more impressed that you gave up blogging time to clean your sink :) !! Way to go!

My only tip about drinking water is to use a big glass (which you are already doing) and keep it in a high traffic area. That way every time you walk by you can take a drink and it will be gone before you know it. It helps me!

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I am very impressed!!! That, too, is something I struggle with and will be one of my *habits* down the road! You go girl! :) My habit for this week is also to drink more water, but I'm starting with only 40 oz. a day! I missed last week, but am so excited to join in! Now we can all hold each other accountable! Good luck this week!

Jen said...

Way to go, Betty!!! I'm so proud of you for keeping your sink empty and clean this week. Keep it up next week!

Good luck with your new habit of drinking water. I contemplated that for myself, but I chickened out. I completely relate to what you wrote about dreading it.

Here is one thing that helped me, though. I put a really pretty goblet from the dollar store and measured out one cup of water and poured it in the goblet to see where it came up to. Trust me when I say that I didn't go past that line (8 oz is my limit!!). For some reason drinking from the pretty goblet inspired me to keep going with it. I fell off the water wagon, but at the time it did help. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!!

Kara said...

I'm very impressed! Great job! And drinking more water is a wonderful goal, I've been trying to do that too.

Anonymous said...

Great job on the sink!! I had a dishes habit for the last two weeks! It really helped me to keep the dishes done after every meal and when they were dirtied for whatever reason. Then, there was never a huge pile. On the water thing, I think you have a great idea to use a large container with all the water you need. If you can see it all the time, you should be able to remember! Good luck!!

Lorie said...

Great job! I need to drink more water too! Good luck!

Peculiar Blogs said...

Great job on the sink!! I am VERY proud of you!!!

Good Luck with the water! I think it will get easier as you go. I CRAVE water and drink it almost only water (even with that, I don't know if I get as much as I need!)

Have a GREAT week!

Kristi said...

Awesome job this week, Betty!! I think that is what is nice about the SMART goal- we have each other to be accountable to, as well, as get encouragement from!

I like drinking water, but it is even a challenge some days for me to do it. I have to start with a bigger sized water bottle or glass as well, or I don't make my 64 ounces.

Keep up the GREAT work!!

Jenn said...

Keep freezing your water, it really does work! Great job on the dishes, you're better than me on that one. Oh, wait, I don't do dishes here. LOL!

Cheri said...

I'm doing much better with drinking my water - and I can always feel it when I don't. What I'm not enjoying with the increased water are the numberless trips to the bathroom!

Weight Loss Tracker