Monday, February 19, 2007

Not Plan A, or B, but Plan C!

It started out as a normal Sunday morning. Everyone getting up late, rushing around, girls fighting and trying to get out the door to arrive at church early – NOT! In order to throw us off and think we have entered a different world our Sunday morning was calm, which is not normal. The girls woke up to get dress and helped each other and did not fight with each other or with John & me. I had time to cook dinner and put it in the crock pot for after church. In the meanwhile John was packing extra clothes for after church. Apparently, we did not communicate about our plans for after church – which never ever ever happens in any marriage :). I mean how dare him not to read my mind and know that I was planning on coming home after church and not sticking around all day at church and wait for the evening class we are taking. (Plan A) Why would it be important for me to “use my words” (as I tell my kids) and tell him? I’m appalled! lol :) Our first 1 – 2 years of marriage it seemed like all our fights I mean discussions always had the phase “I am not a mind reader.” I have gotten better after 11 years, but occasionally I slip and now we have learned to laugh at each other and instead of having “discussions” about it we make jokes about it.

You see we live 25 miles away from the church that we attend and it takes about 30 -35 minutes one way to get to church. So when we go to church in the morning and have to be back in the evening we don’t always go all the way home. There has been children’s quiz practice in the afternoon so we have stayed for that. Now quizzing is over for the year and we have more time off on Sunday afternoons. That is why I was thinking it would be nice to come home after church for a few hours. Apparently, that’s not what John was thinking.

Well, when we did end up communicating about our plans and since I started dinner and he had packed clothes to change we decided to take our meal to church and we would go over to our friend, Caryl’s, house (who lives closer to our church) and combine meals. (Plan B) Now Caryl & I have been friends since childhood and I would feel comfortable to invade I mean “invite myself and family” over to her house at the last minute. This is my friend that last Sunday I took the freedom and invited myself and family over to her house when she & her family were out of town. A little to my credit, the night before on the phone she did mention that she was thinking about inviting us over so we didn’t have to come all the way home and then go back to church. I also want to mention that I would not take this kind of freedom in every friendship that I have.

Okay back to our Sunday plans. We get to church, plugged in the crock pot, got a snack from our café area, sign our children into their classrooms and were getting ready to go into worship service.

Then plan C started to happen. Bethany’s Sunday school teacher, who is also a nurse, brought Bethany to us and said she had pink eye and could not stay around the other children. John (sigh) looks at me and says I knew we should have just stayed in bed this morning. As a mom, I felt embarrassed that I brought my daughter to church with pink eye. Therefore, we left church and went to Wal-mart to see what kind of medicine we could find over the counter and then we were going home for the afternoon. We talked to the pharmacist and he recommended us not to buy something over the counter and to call our doctor and see if he would just call in a prescription. Not knowing what to expect since it was a Sunday, I called. To my surprise the doctor’s office had a doctor on call and they did just call in a prescription and we just had to pick it up and because of our insurance it didn’t cost us anything.

Although we missed church and spent the time at Wal-mart we were home for a calm & relaxing afternoon at home. I even got to watch some of the Daytona 500 and called my niece to pick on her about her favorite driver, who is different than mind, before I went back to church for our class.

Now only if every Sunday was like this just minus the pink eye and the trip to Wal-mart.

Until Later,
Betty

4 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW, I miss one Sunday at church and I miss alot. Glad it worked out and you did get some relaxing time. Don't ever be embarrassed of being told one of your children have some illness you didn't know about. We can't always see everything. Know that we Love you and we are all in raising our little ones together. Have a great Week.
Love & Prayers
Alice

Cheri said...

You know, I posted on close to the same thing today. Planning, planning, planning, then something unexpected happens, and it's all good!

Laura said...

Hi Betty!
What a day you had! My goodness...sounds like you were able to roll with it though...good for you!
Laura

Anonymous said...

YIKES! Sorry about the pink eye. But it sounds like it wasn't all bad! Hope she got better.

Weight Loss Tracker