Tuesday, May 08, 2007

May Day Challenge - Day 1

I am ready to begin the May Day Weight Loss Challenge. I have been wanting to loss weight for a while. I have tried some things here and there, but I always seem to loose my motivation to stick with it. I have started out with so many good intentions and it lasts for about 2 weeks, then I slowly slip away or just don’t see any results so it is easy to not continue with healthy habits. Therefore when I heard about the May Day Challenge, I knew I wanted to be apart of it. The goal is to loose 2lbs weekly from today May 8 through September 18. At that point I should loose 36lbs.

I have always been overweight. As of today I am making some lifelong changes about my eating habits & exercise and I will record my journey to this new life here on my blog. So please join me and help me to stay focused on my goals while I’m on this “Journey to Victory.” I will weigh in and post every Tuesday about how my weight loss journey is going. Therefore please feel free to comment and leave your support, encouragement, and ideas. I really want to succeed in this challenge.

I have been debating if I’m going to post my actual weight or not. A lot of the time I worry about what people will think about me and if people really know my weight – will they still see past it and see & hear my heart? And will that fact change their opinion of me? Well I decided that it doesn’t matter. I have set some goals and I want to succeed in them and in order for me to do that I need to post my progress and be held accountable. Therefore, I have decided to diet naked as Mel - The Amazing Shrinking Mom would say.

I went out and bought a digital scale and as of Saturday I weighed 212.6 lbs. My ideal weight is to be at 150. During this challenge through September 18, I only expect to loose 30lbs and then will continue on to meet my long term goal.

The way I am planning to loose my weight is by following the South Beach/ Glycemic Index diet plan, which basically is to avoid sugar and white flour. I am also planning to exercise 5 times a week (Monday – Friday). I do understand that this needs to be a lifestyle change and not just a temporary fix. I do plan on making these changes for life. Therefore as you read my blog please feel free to offer encouragement and help to keep me accountable.

I am in for the challenge to loose 36lbs by September 18 how about you? The May Day Weight Loss Challenge starts today. If you have not yet joined and want to you can read more about the challenge here and sign up and visit others who have joined here at Tales from the Scales.

Until Later
~Betty~

21 comments:

Military Mommy said...

Hi Betty - Thanks for the sweet note of encouragement on my blog.

I am so proud of you for signing up also. I believe that you can do it and hope that being in this group will offer us both support, encouragement, and accountability.

:) Hugs for a healthy week,
Michelle

Julie said...

Best of luck on your journey. I need to lose 40 lbs and am so happy to have some new weight loss buddies.

Best Wishes,
Julie

Sharon Brumfield said...

Just stopping by to say welcome.Be encouraged with are all in it for the long haul.
It is time to start concentrating on taking care of these temples.
One foot forward and keep going.

Nancy Murphree Davis said...

It sounds like you're committed and ready to get goin'. Glad to meet you. Hope we get to be friends in this MDWLC.

Erin M said...

I'm following a similar plan - the schwarzbein principle. I know you can do it!

Robin said...

You can do this! Our stories sound very similar as well as our goals. I will look forward to reading of your success in the next few weeks. Good luck!

Pattie said...

Hello from another May Day Challenge Member...good luck to you!!

Melanie said...

You are brave to post your weight, I'm not quite there yet. Too uncomfortable in my own skin to do that.
My story is up too. Come on by and vist, just no snacking while you're visiting!

Anonymous said...

You can do this Betty! Please don't be ashamed. I believe any of us here in this challenge can see past one another's weight and into the heart instead.

I have lost, to date (in one year), just about the amount of weight you want to lose. I can assure you, if *I* can do it, I KNOW *you* can!

I'm here to encourage you!

Melodee said...

Good for you! You can do it!

Katie said...

Hi Betty!
Thanks for encouraging me. I think together we can do this! Keep you eye on the prize, as they say.

Laura said...

I admire your determination. Good for you for being real and honest. I'm excited to follow your success...you can do it!!!!

Laura

Unknown said...

We will have victory! We are in this goal together. Have a great day

Love ya!
Alice

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your encouragement. So good luck to you and everyone on the Challenge.

Sharon said...

Hi! I just wanted to wish you all the best in this journey we are undertaking!

Nise' said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog to let me know you are joining in the May Day challenge! We can do this!

Kate said...

Hi Betty!
So awesome to meet you...thanks for stopping by my place and for your sweet encouragement. GOOD for you...it is really hard I think for a woman to be open about her weight. It's just a touchy subject for us. But sister, listen...we're here for each other. I look forward to rooting you on and seeing how well you do!!! GO GIRL! :D Have a great day!

Marianne said...

Hi there! Good to meet you via the blog. Just a note of encouragement in this journey!! Blessings as you embark this week!

Girl Gone Wild - BibleStyle said...

I would love to say how excited I am that we're doing this Challange thing, but MAN, I had NO idea how cranky I can get without the comfort food I so dearly want! Ok, that being said...LET'S GO GIRL! WE CAN DO THIS!!!!

Cheri said...

Praying for you today.

Hope all is well with the diet - and life!

Keep working it, even if it's just a minute at a time!

Anonymous said...

I'm a new challenger myself and your "two-week" problem struck a real note! I've had that one more times than I care to count.
Looks like a great support network here though, I think this is the one where many of us finally break those barriers and take this stuff off!
Can't wait to see your progress :)

Weight Loss Tracker