Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Christmas Decorating

We put up our Christmas decorations on Monday & Tuesday nights. It was such a nice & peaceful time for our family. I don’t always enjoy putting up the decorations and I feel like I do it just because of the kids. I usually feel time pressed and then have to make sure everything is done and then cleaned up and put away. Not this year.

We had planned to put the tree up on Saturday, but we had a dress rehearsal at our church and when we got home John & I were just not in the mood to put up the Christmas tree. Instead of pressuring ourselves and trying to live up to other’s expectations (which I post about here) we decided to wait. One of our family traditions is each year we each get to pick out a new ornament for the tree. Therefore, we decided that we would go pick out ornaments on Saturday and then on Monday we would put the tree up. On Monday evening John fixed his favorite hot chocolate for all of us and we put the tree up while listening to Christmas music. We did not get all of our decorations done on Monday before it was bedtime. I started thinking about other’s expectations again and this post and decided that there was not a reason why we couldn’t wait and finish our decorating on Tuesday night and that’s what we did. We had a nice family dinner, which John helped prepare and a relaxing evening. We each put our own ornaments on the tree from years past and it was nice remembering certain things that have happened in our lives. We decorated the fireplace, put garland up on the doorways, and decorated the girl’s bathroom, which is more than what I have done in years past. We also had time to sit and look at the lights with music playing and just to enjoy each other. It was a nice and peaceful time and today I have enjoyed having the house decorated for Christmas.

Christmas time is usually kind of sad, emotional, and lonely for me (which I have been feeling blah this week). However, I can rest in the assurance that I have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and I can celebrate that He came to this world and am thankful for His love and what He does in my life everyday. This year, just like everyday, I will celebrate Jesus, my family, and enjoy the fun things you can do this time of the year in our community. I am looking forward to seeing some Christmas dramas, Christmas lights, and have relaxing evenings at home enjoying my family.

I hope you each find something special about Christmas this year and enjoy the blessings God gives us no matter what else is going on in our lives, that is my plan.

Until Later,
~Betty~

2 comments:

Cheri said...

You're ahead of me - I STILL haven't even put away my fall decorations. I did pull out the Christmas cards and wrapping paper last night though. I have simply got to get these presents mailed to our families in the states!

Missed you while you were gone. Thanks for hanging around at my blog!

Anonymous said...

I have not put my tree up yet. As you know, I have not been feeling too great. Anywho. ...I celebrate Jesus everyday too. We all should!:)

Weight Loss Tracker